I had learnt this Italian dessert Tiramisu (“lift me up”) from an Italian friend back in school. She would always say it was the easiest and one of the lightest desserts to make but the trickiest part was how much the lady fingers were soaked in the coffee. While that is absolutely true, I still find it to be my go-to dessert. It almost always turns out delicious and if you are in a hurry to prepare a quick dessert without too much headache, this one never will fail you. I have had lady fingers soaked anywhere from ‘too much’ to ‘too little’ and every time it was delectable!
- 4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 2 packets of lady fingers
- 16 ounces of mascarpone cheese
- Sugar (3 TBs/egg)
- Hot liquid coffee
- Whipped cream for topping
- Some cocoa for decoration
- Beat egg whites until foamy peaks form
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until the color is pale yellow
- Add mascarpone cheese to the yolk. Mix well into a cream.
- Fold in egg whites to this cream. Mix well.
- Prepare hot liquid coffee
- Use 9-13 inch rectangular pan
- Make 1 layer with lady fingers (lady fingers should be soaked into hot coffee for 1-2 seconds on all sides using forks for guidance)
- Spread half of the cream over the lady finger layer
- Repeat step 2 with another layer of lady fingers
- Finish with remainder of cream
- Add whipped cream on top and spread evenly
- Sprinkle some cocoa for decoration