The many health benefits of turmeric have been well known and respected. Indians have used turmeric for ages as turmeric is a must ingredient in all Indian curry dishes. The medicinal properties of turmeric are a result of the compound curcumin that gives turmeric its bright yellow color. The benefits of turmeric are best experienced when curcumin extract is taken as a dietary supplement, however only after recommendation from one’s primary physician.
Here we have summarized some of the key health benefits of turmeric:
- Anti-inflammatory properties – There are many chronic diseases that have low-level inflammation as one of the underlying causes. Medicinal curcumin supplement has anti-inflammatory properties that help against many such chronic diseases.
- Anti-ageing Properties – Curcumin is a rich anti-oxidant source. Free radicals absorbed from the environment cause oxidation of our cells that lead to cellular degeneration and therefore ageing. Curcumin supplement when taken regularly is known to delay the progression of ageing.
- Manage Arthritis Pain – Arthritis pains a common problem that occurs with aging. It typically results from inflammation of joints. Curcumin supplementation helps in the management of arthritic pain better than many anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Prevent Against Depression – Curcumin is incredibly beneficial if used as an anti-depressant. cur cumin has been found in randomized trial studies to act as an anti-depressantand have similar outcomes as anti-depressant medicine, prozac. It appears to act by boosting the neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin in the brain.
- Prevent Against Alzheimer’s Disease and Preserve Brain Function – Alzheimer’s disease and dementia is one of the leading neurodegenerative disorders. inflammation and oxidative damage maybe an underlying cause for Alzheimer’s disease leading to the buildup of proteins called plaques. Curcumin is a compound that is known to cross the blond-brain barrier. Curcumin has both anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative properties and as such is found to play a beneficial role in clearing up the plaque deposits.