(Reposted and revised with additional information from earlier blog post ‘Want to Get to the Roots of Health?’)
We share some of the health benefits and medicinal properties of these five super root vegetables and how we can make these a part of our daily consumption.
Turmeric: Curcumin is the rich compound found in turmeric that gives it the bright yellow color and has many other properties beneficial to health.
- Delays the occurence and progression of diabetes
- Helps to protect and fight against cancer
- Has anti-inflammatory properties for management of joint pain and arthritis
- Protects the brain from neurodegenerative diseases such as stroke and Alzheimeres’
Ginger: The phenolic compounds found in ginger has many health benefits.
- Helps to relieve gastrointestinal issues and promotes healthy digestion in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract
- Reduces inflammation and can be used to treat inflammatory disease conditions
- Decreases risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and overall mortality
- Improves hair growth and skin complexion
- Increases overall energy and stamina
Beetroot: The phytonutrients that beets are packed with gives it the bright crimson red color and has numerous benefits for overall health.
- Lowers blood pressure within hours of drinking beet juice
- Boosts stamina and increases energy level
- Beets have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative properties. Beets contain betaine, a nutrient that helps protect cells and enzymes from oxidative stress and help fight against inflammation
- Has anti-cancer properties. The phytonutrients found in beets help fight against cancer
Sweet Potato: They are packed with carotenoids which give them their bright orange color and makes them one of the super root vegetables.
- Sweet potatoes have natural sugars which are released into the bloodstream slowly and this prevents the occurrence of blood sugar spikes.
- They contain the compound magnesium which has anti-stress and relaxing effects.
- Sweet potatoes are high in carotenoids that have anti-oxidative properties and help to fight against cancer as well as delay the progression of aging.
- They are a valuable source of iron which helps to support a healthy immune system.
Garlic: The health benefits of garlic have been well known for centuries. It is packed with the compound Allicin which gives it many medicinal properties.
- Raw garlic consumption on a regular basis will lower bad cholesterol levels . It has been found to be a super food for centuries in preventing the development of heart disease and in regulating blood pressure.
- It also has anti-bacterial properties. Diluted garlic extract can be used to treat bacterial infections.
- Daily consumption of garlic prevents against stomach and colorectal cancers. It helps to boost the resistance of cells against cancer.
- Loss of collagen can lead to reduced elasticity in aging skin. The anti-oxidative properties of garlic protect skin against free radical damage and decelerate the loss of collagen.
Some of these root vegetables, such as garlic, should be best consumed raw in order to bring out the full potential of its many health benefits and medicinal properties. However if that’s not possible, one can slowly acquire a taste or flavor for these root vegetables in cooked meals. There are several cuisines that have high contents of some of these super roots. The Italian meals are usually cooked with abundance of garlic. There are hardly any Indian curries that are not cooked with garlic, ginger and onions. Many Asian cooked foods also contain ginger and garlic. Additionally, it is possible to incorporate some of these such as beets and onions into may different types of salads on a daily basis. We can also prepare organic home-made mixtures or raw ginger, honey and lemon which can be taken everyday regularly.